Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How to Gain Weight in Oxford

Five days in Oxford, and the lbs are pilin' back on. Here's how YOU can gain weight in Oxford, too!

1. Live 100 yards away from everything. In London, we had to walk 30 minutes to and from class everyday. Here, our classroom is literally in my dormitory. Our dining hall is all the way next door. All of my program-mates live in my building or the adjacent ones surrounding our common courtyard. My parents are probably rolling their eyes and thinking how this is their lazy daughter's dream. Not entirely untrue, Mom and Dad, but I do miss the exercise, believe it or not.

2. Live 20 feet from a subsidized pub. Yes, you read correctly. St. Edmund's Hall College at Oxford University has a SUBSIDIZED PUB. As if there wasn't already enough demand for alcohol. The Guinness is cheaper, and the dartboard is always ready for a game. Needless to say, we have enjoyed many a calorie at this appropriately titled pub, The Buttery.

3. Enjoy nine free meals a week. Did I mention that they are THREE-COURSE meals? Well, they are, and deliciously so. Monday through Friday (if you choose to wake up at 8 a.m., and of course I do so for food) we walk to our conventiently-located dining hall and plop down at the "high table" (our professor is an alumnus), where we are served three courses. Breakfast is usually toast with jam and butter, bagels with cream cheese or marmalade, coffee, tea, juice, and then a "hot breakfast" if you wish, which is generally eggs, bacon, hash browns, and baked beans. Beats me, but it's always tasty! What a great way to start the day. Even with a huge breakfast under our belt, we are always ready to go at it again with lunch at 1 p.m. Another three-course beauty, lunch consists of soup or fruit (of the most elaborate displays), bread and butter, a main course of chicken or beef and pasta or rice, and then a huge mouth-watering dessert with a bit of coffee. UNC Dining Services, you ain't got nothing on the English.

4. See all the sights in one day. Oxford, I love you and all, but there is nothing to do here. Seriously though, Professor Armitage took us on a tour of the town of the very first day, and since then, we can't think of anything else to see! It's a beautiful place, and there are enjoyable things to do, but not in the middle of the afternoon. In London we constantly felt obligated to see, see, see everything, but here...well, there's no "everything" to see. Gotta say, after an extremely hectic and exhausting (albeit very fun) three weeks in London, I do enjoy a good afternoon off.

5. Have a single room. Correction: have a single room that is perfect for napping. After three weeks in a flat with four other girls, no amount of consideration could ever keep things totally quiet, but oh boy can my Oxford dorm room do so. I open my window for a little air, bolt my door, and I'm out.

6. Stay in for crappy weather. By some freak accident of nature, London was sunny and warm for our entire stay. Oxford, on the other hand, has jumped right in to be overcast, cool, and drizzly--and the 10-day forecast doesn't show a lot of difference up ahead. Once again, this is fine by us. Congregating in Arthur's room or lingering at the lunch table are perfectly enjoyable ways to spend our time in Oxford. Well, at least while the weather permits little else.

As you may have gathered, my time in Oxford will be quite a bit different than my time in London, but as you also may have gathered, it will be no less enjoyable. I can't wait to have another best three weeks of my life, and I can't wait to keep you all updated. Because I do, as always, love and miss you all. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Funny post Tessie! I kept logging out, thinking I was in Paul's blogger, and trying to log into my own, because I thought it was the post about losing weight in London, until I realized, well, it wasn't. Did you go to the Eagle and Child? A pub, yes, but supposedly the pub where CS Lewis and Tolkien took their pints. When do you go to Edinburgh? Use that Britrail pass on a boring afternoon!! Baked beans for breakfast are so yummy! We are enjoying your blog and your FB pictures. Paul is finally getting on FB so he can follow your adventures! Love you!

    ReplyDelete